Make your writing clear, compelling and easy to read
The Writing Essentials online masterclass is ideal for those who write:
- marketing copy
- press releases
- blog posts.
In other words, if you work in journalism, marketing, communications, PR or run your own business then this is ideal for you.
It’s also suitable if you simply want to improve your general writing skills – after all, the skills and techniques you’ll learn in this course can be applied to any kind of writing.
There are plenty of exercises throughout the course that allow you to put theory into practice.
An online writing course that allows you to study at your own pace – and to redo the course as many times as you want
This course is available online, allowing you to study whenever and wherever it suits you.
It’s equivalent to a full-day course, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (though you can pause whenever you want).
Once enrolled, you can access the course at any time – unlike with other courses (which limit access to a month, half a year or a year) there are no time limits.
What this writing course covers:
- why short sentences are key to good writing
- how to write in the active voice
- how to use positive language
- writing with confidence
- using the right tone of voice and style
- cutting copy
- making your intros stronger
- showing, not telling
- tips on writing in plain English
- writing with the reader in mind
- using the correct tense
- how to write in the inverted pyramid style
- top 10 news criteria (what makes a story interesting)
- frontloading content
- writing a news feature
- grammar and punctuation
- considering the medium – and the purpose – of your writing
- proofreading tips
- writing great headlines.
How much does it cost?
$US120 per person.
You will receive:
- a handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (will be given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- a free copy of my ebook Dealing with Grumpy Editors
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want
- a 20% discount on all my other training packages, including one-on-one sessions.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and journalist with over 20 years of experience.
- written for and edited almost every feature section of The Sydney Morning Herald
- lectured at UTS, the University of Sydney, and the Australian Independent Centre for Journalism
- worked as an online content specialist, copywriter and communications manager
- taught writing and editing workshops for over a decade.
- "It was a really useful workshop. It helps you think about how you write and the words you use. I learnt a lot about the importance of using plain and everyday language. I will definitely be using what I have learnt in my job."Paige Wall – Australian Super
- "Fantastic combination of wit and wisdom. Well structured and paced. I learnt a whole lot about how I can improve my writing. Also loved the real life examples."Sesilia Devine – Inner West Council
- "Loved learning how to cut my sentences and work on structure. Particularly good to get some tips for media releases and sending to journos. Great exercises to actually put theory into practice."Amelia Quenby – Tonic PR
- "A helpful workshop which went over both the basics and pertinent points for copywriting and communications professionals."Vanessa Gregory – Access-DGC
- "Highly recommended. Thorough, well-presented and essential information."Odette Waanders – CEO, Palliative Care Victoria