Make your writing clear, compelling and easy to read
Become a better – and more confident – writer.
The Writing Essentials online masterclass teaches all the basics, from how to make sentences punchier right through to how to structure copy.
It’s ideal for those who write:
- marketing copy
- press releases
- blog posts.
In other words, if you work in journalism, marketing, communications, PR or run your own business then this is ideal for you.
It’s also suitable if you simply want to improve your general writing skills – after all, the skills and techniques you’ll learn in this course can be applied to any kind of writing.
There are plenty of exercises throughout the course that allow you to put theory into practice.
An online writing course that allows you to study at your own pace – and to redo the course as many times as you want
This course is available online, allowing you to study whenever and wherever it suits you.
It’s equivalent to a full-day course, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (though you can pause whenever you want).
Once enrolled, you can access the course at any time – unlike with other courses (which limit access to a month, half a year or a year) there are no time limits.
What the course covers:
- why short sentences are key to good writing
- how to write in the active voice
- how to use positive language
- writing with confidence
- using the right tone of voice and style
- cutting copy
- making your intros stronger
- showing, not telling
- tips on writing in plain English
- writing with the reader in mind
- using the correct tense
- how to write in the inverted pyramid style
- top 10 news criteria (what makes a story interesting)
- frontloading content
- writing a news feature
- grammar and punctuation
- considering the medium – and the purpose – of your writing
- proofreading tips
- writing great headlines.
How much does it cost?
I’m currently offering this workshop for $US80 – but only until 1 September. After that, the price will go up to $US160.
You will receive:
- A handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (will be given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- a free copy of my ebook Dealing with Grumpy Editors
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want
- a 20% discount on all my other training packages, including one-on-one sessions.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and journalist with over 20 years of experience.
- written for and edited almost every feature section of The Sydney Morning Herald
- lectured at UTS, the University of Sydney, and the Australian Independent Centre for Journalism
- worked as an online content specialist, copywriter and communications manager
- taught writing and editing workshops for over a decade.
- "I learnt so much from this workshop. Your teaching style and passion for writing is inspiring. Thank you."Peter Emptage
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Really enjoyable. Content is broad, which is great – it links all kinds of comms strategies."Alana Doyle – Melba Support Services
- "Enjoyed the format and content and how elements had been applied to our work. Thank you for a fabulous session."Vanessa Hollidge – Reymond Communications
- "Very useful workshop – highly recommended. Dan was very professional and questions and answers were welcomed. Nice and relaxed environment."Ciarne Denham – Jaywing
- "After trawling for the right editor to teach me the trade, from square one I knew I'd found the right person in Dan. He's an incredible teacher, with amusing anecdotes to boot. After just a few sessions, I was seeing English in an entirely new way and, with his help, I knew I was ready."Gavin A