Make your writing clearer and easier to read
No one has ever complained that something is too easy to read.
By writing in plain English, you’ll make sure that your writing is not only read but also understood.
This writing workshop will teach participants how to:
- make their writing clear and easy to comprehend
- write for readers with low literacy levels (or who have English as a second language)
- plan and draft what they need to say
- choose the right words
- write short, sharp and snappy sentences
- make sentences active (and know when they need to be passive)
- structure paragraphs
- set the right tone for their audience
- break down complex information through formatting, sentence structure, critical thought and word choice
- proofread their own work and avoid common grammatical mistakes.
Customised writing training that comes to your office
Your needs are unique – and so your training ought to be as well.
This hands-on and practical writing course can be customised to cover the topics relevant to you, with the topics reflecting the kind of content that your participants work with.
Exercises can even be customised to suit you, and can be based on your own content if you choose.
The length of the course varies depending on your requirements, from half a day to three days.Ask about staff training
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and UTS lecturer with over 20 years of writing experience.
Over the past decade I’ve worked with a wide range of organisations – from government departments and councils to universities, financial services and real estate firms – and I know how crucial using plain English is in the workplace.
Public workshops on writing in plain English
I also run writing workshops around Australia that are open to the public.
Register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next public course in your area will be.
One-on-one writing training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are also available, allowing me to focus on the specific writing skills you want to build – and the type of content you need to write.
Contact me to find out more.
- "Very practical and easy to implement in everyday writing. Was great to be able to use material from our own website and tweak it to be more understandable."Kim McQualter – Murray Local Land Services
- "Great content and very helpful to everyone. The way you engaged everyone made them feel happy to contribute and easily get responses."Amanda Manwaring – Department of of Transport and Main Roads
- "Really good refresher workshop. Helped to clarify often-made grammatical errors and simplify concise writing habits."Rebecca Sands – Knight Frank
- "Thanks Dan. Great information, useful tips and lots of content in the handbook, which is a great resource. I've learnt a lot of things I'm either doing wrong or could do much better!"Jenny McDonagh
- "Enjoyed the format and content and how elements had been applied to our work. Thank you for a fabulous session."Vanessa Hollidge – Reymond Communications
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment
- "Dan was very helpful in improving my writing skills."Demi Carigliano – Knight Frank
- "I am taking away a lot from this workshop: making more use of strong verbs, frontloading and writing short sentences. Thank you very much. Very enjoyable and a rich writing essentials booklet to study."Siobhan Steven
- "Dan was an engaging presenter and answered all questions well. The exercises were extremely helpful in understanding the content."Lurline Byles – Department of Fire and Emergency Services
- "I learnt so much from this workshop. Your teaching style and passion for writing is inspiring. Thank you."Peter Emptage
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Dan was great. A fresh spin on content."Nevin Butcher