Anyone can become a better writer
Imagine if everyone in your organisation wrote clearly, concisely and more persuasively.
I provide writing training for a wide range of staff – whether they’re in sales, admin, HR, customer service, management or marketing.
This plain English writing workshop will teach participants how to:
- write with the audience in mind
- plan – and clarify – what they need to write
- use the right tone and style
- use plain English to write professionally
- choose the right words
- write short, sharp and snappy sentences
- make sentences active (and know when they need to be passive)
- use positive phrasing
- structure paragraphs
- break down complex information to make it easier to understand
- write for readers with low literacy levels (or have English as a second language)
- proofread their own work
- avoid common grammatical mistakes.
Customised writing training that can be taught online or in person
This training can be tailored to suit you and whatever kind of writing you want to focus on, including:
- meeting minutes
- business letters.
The workshop is highly interactive and filled with plenty of practical exercises – and, if you choose, I can base many of the exercises and examples on your own content.
The length of the course varies depending on your requirements, from half a day to two days.Ask about staff training
One-on-one plain English writing training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are also available, allowing me to focus on the specific writing skills you want to build – and the type of content you need to write.
I can also provide feedback on your writing, so that you get advice that’s specific to you.
The sessions can be taught online or in person.Contact me to find out more
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and UTS lecturer with over 20 years of writing experience.
Over the past decade I’ve worked with a wide range of organisations – from government departments and councils to universities, financial services and real estate firms – and I know how crucial using plain English is in the workplace.
Public workshops on business writing in plain English
I also run plain English business writing workshops around Australia that are open to the public.
Register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next public course in your area will be.
- "I would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting a clear, helpful guide to business writing."Christy Tesoriero – Macquarie University
- "It was a really useful workshop. It helps you think about how you write and the words you use. I learnt a lot about the importance of using plain and everyday language. I will definitely be using what I have learnt in my job."Paige Wall – Australian Super
- "I've done a few writing workshops in my career and this was the best."Tara D'Souza – ACCAN
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Very practical and easy to implement in everyday writing. Was great to be able to use material from our own website and tweak it to be more understandable."Kim McQualter – Murray Local Land Services
- "Great content and very helpful to everyone. The way you engaged everyone made them feel happy to contribute and easily get responses."Amanda Manwaring – Department of of Transport and Main Roads