Learn how to edit and proof copy with confidence
This sub-editing and proofreading course covers:
- writing strong headlines, captions and intros that work across print and online
- structuring – and restructuring – different kinds of articles
- the grammatical and punctuation rules an editor needs to know
- proofreading marks and symbols
- crafting strong sentences
- sub-editing tips and tricks
- cutting copy
- setting the right tone for your audience
- storytelling techniques
- style guides and style sheets
- tips for proofreading in fast-paced environments.
This is a fun and practical subbing course, with many editing exercises included throughout.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor, UTS lecturer and ACIJ presenter with over 20 years of experience across print and online.
Sub-editing and proofreading training for organisations and individuals
I provide in-house staff training across Australia and New Zealand that can be run on your premises.
One-on-one training and public workshops for individuals are also available.Ask for more information
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "After trawling what felt like all of Sydney for the right editor to teach me the trade, from square one I knew I'd found the right person in Dan. He's an incredible teacher, with amusing anecdotes to boot. After just a few sessions, I was seeing English in an entirely new way and, with his help, I knew I was ready."Gavin A
- "Dan was an engaging presenter and answered all questions well. The exercises were extremely helpful in understanding the content."Lurline Byles – Department of Fire and Emergency Services
- "I'm feeling very motivated to work on my copy and improve it. Thank you!"Melissa Knapp – Yoganic
- "Dan is adaptable to the various audience’s requirements and has a tremendous scope of information and experience which he delivers very well."Maggie Videan – Cancer Council