Learn how to edit and proofread with confidence
This subbing and proofreading course covers:
- how to tighten copy
- writing in active vs passive voice
- making sure the lead isn’t buried
- writing strong intros
- structuring copy so it flows well
- writing headlines that work across print and online
- search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques
- grammatical rules an editor needs to know
- punctuation tips on apostrophes, commas, hyphens, dashes, semicolons and more
- proofreading tips and tricks
- using proofreading mark-up symbols
- how to manage production flow
- tips on working with writers and designers
- defamation and media law tips.
This is a fun and practical course with many editing exercises included throughout.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor with over 20 years of experience across print and online.
Subbing and proofreading training for organisations
I provide staff training across Australia and New Zealand that can be run on your premises.
The training can be customised to suit your needs and content. To make the training as relevant as possible, exercises and examples can be based on your copy.Ask for more information
Public sub-editing courses and one-on-one training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are available, allowing me to focus on the specific editing and proofing skills you want to build.
I also run sub-editing workshops around Australia that are open to the public.Contact me to find out more
Who can benefit from this sub-editing and proofreading course?
This subbing course will help anyone improve their editing skills, whether they’re new to editing or are an experienced editor who wants a refresher.
Participants often work in:
- public relations (PR)
- "Would happily recommend to journalists, editors and sub-editors. Dan knows his subject and this info needs to be passed on to every media participant."Darren Snyder – Money magazine
- "Dan is brilliant! This workshop has really helped me understand more about editing. The skills and tools I have learned will assist me in my daily work. Thank you."Allyson Jennings – World Nomads
- "Great advice, wish I'd done this course in uni – and it should be part of uni! Thank you!"Milly McGrath
- "Enjoyable workshop – Dan is a great presenter/teacher. It was amazing to find out how much I did and didn't know."Jamie Williamson – Rainmaker Group
- "Really good refresher workshop. Helped to clarify often-made grammatical errors and simplify concise writing habits."Rebecca Sands – Knight Frank
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment