Make your writing more effective
Learn how to write clearly, concisely and more persuasively – whether it’s for reports, briefs, emails, proposals or general communications.
Unlike other courses that focus more on theory, this is a practical business writing course that explains key techniques in plain English and has plenty of exercises. In other words, it’s designed to be enjoyable – and to make it easy for you to immediately apply what you’ve learnt to your work.
More specifically, this business writing course covers:
- writing with the audience in mind
- planning – and clarifying – your writing
- using the right tone and style
- the importance of using plain English to write professionally
- how to write short, sharp and snappy sentences
- writing in the active voice (and knowing when to use the passive)
- using positive phrasing
- formatting copy to make it easier to read
- writing in the inverted pyramid style
- structuring and frontloading content
- showing, not telling – except when you need to tell
- how to deliver bad news
- tips on writing different kinds of content, including business emails, letters, reports, briefs, tenders and grants
- using the power of three to make your writing more persuasive
- style guides
- grammar and punctuation tips
- writing great headlines.
An online writing course that allows you to study at your own pace – and to redo the course as many times as you want
The Business Writing Skills online course allows you to study whenever and wherever it suits you.
It’s equivalent to a full-day workshop, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (plus you can pause whenever you want).
Once enrolled, you can access the course at any time – unlike other courses, there are no time limits.
You will receive:
- a handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (will be given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want
- a 20% discount on all my other training packages, including one-on-one sessions.
Price: $US120 per person.Find out more and enrol
Customised staff training that can be taught online or in person
Imagine if everyone in your organisation wrote clearly, concisely and more persuasively.
I provide writing training for a wide range of staff – whether they’re in sales, admin, HR, customer service, management or marketing. This training can be tailored to suit you and whatever kind of writing you want to focus on, including:
- meeting minutes
- business letters.
The workshop is highly interactive and filled with plenty of practical exercises – and, if you choose, I can base many of the exercises and examples on your own content.
The length of the course varies depending on your requirements, from half a day to two days.Ask about staff training
One-on-one business writing training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are also available, allowing me to focus on the specific writing skills you want to build – and the type of content you need to write.
I can also provide feedback on your writing, so that you get advice that’s specific to you.
The sessions can be taught online or in person.Contact me to find out more
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and UTS lecturer with over 20 years of writing experience.
Over the past decade I’ve worked with a wide range of organisations – from government departments and councils to universities, financial services and real estate firms – and I know how crucial using plain English is in the workplace.
Public workshops on business writing in plain English
I also run plain English business writing workshops around Australia that are open to the public.
Register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next public course in your area will be.
- "I would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting a clear, helpful guide to business writing."Christy Tesoriero – Macquarie University
- "It was a really useful workshop. It helps you think about how you write and the words you use. I learnt a lot about the importance of using plain and everyday language. I will definitely be using what I have learnt in my job."Paige Wall – Australian Super
- "I've done a few writing workshops in my career and this was the best."Tara D'Souza – ACCAN
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Very practical and easy to implement in everyday writing. Was great to be able to use material from our own website and tweak it to be more understandable."Kim McQualter – Murray Local Land Services
- "Great content and very helpful to everyone. The way you engaged everyone made them feel happy to contribute and easily get responses."Amanda Manwaring – Department of of Transport and Main Roads