Make your business writing more effective
Learn how to write clearly, concisely and more persuasively – whether it’s for reports, briefs, emails, proposals or general communications.
Customised staff training, a self-paced online course and one-on-one sessions are available.
What does this business writing course cover?
Taught by a former Sydney Morning Herald editor with business writing experience, this course will show you how to:
- write with the audience in mind
- plan and clarify your writing
- apply the right tone and style
- use plain English to express complex ideas
- craft short, sharp and snappy sentences
- write in the active voice (and know when to use the passive)
- use positive phrasing
- format copy to make it easier to read
- structure different kinds of writing
- show, not tell
- deliver bad news
- use the power of three to make your writing more persuasive
- avoid common grammatical and punctuation mistakes
- proofread your own work.
This is a fun, practical business writing course that’s filled with plenty of exercises.
Staff training that’s customised for your team
I provide business writing training for a wide range of staff – whether they’re in sales, admin, HR, customer service, management or marketing. This training can be tailored to suit you and whatever kind of writing you want to focus on.
The workshop is highly interactive. If you choose, I can base many of the exercises and examples on your own content.Ask about staff training
An online business writing course that allows you to study at your own pace
This online business writing course is equivalent to a full-day workshop, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (plus you can pause whenever you want).
If you’d like personalised feedback – or to workshop your own writing – we can arrange an optional one-on-one Zoom session for an additional $180 (plus GST) per hour either during the course or after you’ve finished it.
You will receive:
- a handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want.
Price: $US140Enrol now in the Business Writing online course
One-on-one business writing training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are also available, allowing me to focus on the specific writing skills you want to build – and the type of content you need to write.
I can also provide feedback on your writing.
The sessions can be taught online over Zoom or in person.Contact me to find out more
Who’s teaching this business writing course?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and UTS lecturer with over 25 years of writing experience. At the paper I covered almost every industry – from health and science to business and IT.
When I left journalism I then started working with a wide range of organisations, where I had to write and edit almost everything from proposals, annual reports and board papers to tenders, briefs and website copy.
Over the past decade I’ve taught business writing courses to everyone from government departments and councils to universities, financial services firms and real estate companies.
A business writing course that focuses on plain language
Most organisations are required, often legally, to use plain language. Some people use the phrase plain English rather than plain language – with the difference being that plain English is about making writing clear, whereas plain language is about both clarity and effectiveness.
Writing in plain language is at the core of this course, with almost all the techniques explaining how you can make your writing as clear, simple and effective as possible.
Business writing webinars for the public
I also occasionally run live business writing webinars. Only eight spots are available in each course.
Register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next business writing webinar will be.
- "Dan’s online Business Writing course is an eye opening experience. It’s simple to access and what you learn can be used immediately. People want to feel heard, so learning to write clearly is a game changer. I recommend this course for people who have something to say."Tilly Haughton – GMHBA
- "I've done a few writing workshops in my career and this was the best."Tara D'Souza – ACCAN
- "I would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting a clear, helpful guide to business writing."Christy Tesoriero – Macquarie University
- "It was a really useful workshop. It helps you think about how you write and the words you use. I learnt a lot about the importance of using plain and everyday language. I will definitely be using what I have learnt in my job."Paige Wall – Australian Super
- "Dan was fantastic, delivering the workshop in an easy-to-follow way. Dan generously answered our questions and provided great insights from his professional life. I'm looking forward to implementing the techniques."Katherine – CropLife
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Very practical and easy to implement in everyday writing. Was great to be able to use material from our own website and tweak it to be more understandable."Kim McQualter – Murray Local Land Services
- "Great content and very helpful to everyone. The way you engaged everyone made them feel happy to contribute and easily get responses."Amanda Manwaring – Department of of Transport and Main Roads
- "Really good refresher workshop. Helped to clarify often-made grammatical errors and simplify concise writing habits."Rebecca Sands – Knight Frank
- "Thanks Dan. Great information, useful tips and lots of content in the handbook, which is a great resource. I've learnt a lot of things I'm either doing wrong or could do much better!"Jenny McDonagh
- "Enjoyed the format and content and how elements had been applied to our work. Thank you for a fabulous session."Vanessa Hollidge – Reymond Communications
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment
- "Dan was very helpful in improving my writing skills."Demi Carigliano – Knight Frank
- "I am taking away a lot from this workshop: making more use of strong verbs, frontloading and writing short sentences. Thank you very much. Very enjoyable and a rich writing essentials booklet to study."Siobhan Steven
- "Dan was an engaging presenter and answered all questions well. The exercises were extremely helpful in understanding the content."Lurline Byles – Department of Fire and Emergency Services
- "I learnt so much from this workshop. Your teaching style and passion for writing is inspiring. Thank you."Peter Emptage
- "I was really impressed with the course and the delivery was both entertaining and engaging. We covered a lot of ground."Ewan Richmond – Yarra City Council
- "Dan was great. A fresh spin on content."Nevin Butcher