Make your business writing more effective
Learn how to write clearly, concisely and more persuasively – whether it’s for reports, briefs, emails, proposals or general communications.
Unlike other courses that focus more on theory, this is a practical business writing course that explains key techniques in plain English and has plenty of exercises.
It’s also designed to be enjoyable – and to make it easy for you to immediately apply what you’ve learnt to your work.
Study at your own pace with the Business Writing online course
The Business Writing online course allows you to study whenever and wherever it suits you.
It’s equivalent to a full-day workshop, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (plus you can pause whenever you want).
You will receive:
- a handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (will be given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want
- a 20% discount on one-on-one sessions, which we can arrange if you’d like personal feedback or to workshop your own writing after the course.
Price: $US120 per person.Find out more
Customised staff training that can be taught online or in person
Imagine if everyone in your organisation wrote clearly, concisely and more persuasively.
I provide writing training for a wide range of staff – whether they’re in sales, admin, HR, customer service, management or marketing. This training can be tailored to suit you and whatever kind of writing you want to focus on, including:
- meeting minutes
- business letters.
The workshop is highly interactive and filled with plenty of practical exercises – and, if you choose, I can base many of the exercises and examples on your own content.
The length of the course varies depending on your requirements, from half a day to two days.Ask about staff training
One-on-one business writing training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are also available, allowing me to focus on the specific writing skills you want to build – and the type of content you need to write.
I can also provide feedback on your writing, so that you get advice that’s specific to you.
The sessions can be taught online or in person.Contact me to find out more
What does this business writing course cover?
This course will teach you writing skills and techniques that can be applied to every aspect of your work. More specifically, you will learn about:
- writing with the audience in mind
- planning – and clarifying – your writing
- using the right tone and style
- the importance of using plain English to write professionally
- how to write short, sharp and snappy sentences
- writing in the active voice (and knowing when to use the passive)
- using positive phrasing
- formatting copy to make it easier to read
- writing in the inverted pyramid style
- structuring and frontloading content
- showing, not telling – except when you need to tell
- how to deliver bad news
- tips on writing different kinds of content, including business emails, letters, reports, briefs, tenders and grants
- using the power of three to make your writing more persuasive
- style guides
- grammar and punctuation tips
- writing great headlines.
Who’s teaching this business writing course?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and UTS lecturer with over 20 years of writing experience. At the paper I covered almost every industry – from health and science to business and IT.
When I left the paper I then started working with a wide range of organisations, where I had to write and edit almost everything: from proposals, annual reports and board papers to tenders, briefs and website copy.
Over the past decade I’ve taught business writing courses to everyone from government departments and councils to universities, financial services firms and real estate companies.
Public courses on plain English business writing
I also run plain English business writing courses around Australia that are open to the public.
Register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next workshop in your area will be.
- "I would highly recommend this course to anyone wanting a clear, helpful guide to business writing."Christy Tesoriero – Macquarie University
- "It was a really useful workshop. It helps you think about how you write and the words you use. I learnt a lot about the importance of using plain and everyday language. I will definitely be using what I have learnt in my job."Paige Wall – Australian Super
- "I've done a few writing workshops in my career and this was the best."Tara D'Souza – ACCAN
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Very practical and easy to implement in everyday writing. Was great to be able to use material from our own website and tweak it to be more understandable."Kim McQualter – Murray Local Land Services
- "Great content and very helpful to everyone. The way you engaged everyone made them feel happy to contribute and easily get responses."Amanda Manwaring – Department of of Transport and Main Roads