Learn how to edit and proofread with confidence
This subbing and proofreading course covers:
- how to tighten copy
- writing in active vs passive voice
- making sure the lead isn’t buried
- writing strong intros
- structuring copy so it flows well
- writing headlines that work across print and online
- search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques
- grammatical rules an editor needs to know
- punctuation tips on apostrophes, commas, hyphens, dashes, semicolons and more
- proofreading tips and tricks
- using proofreading mark-up symbols
- how to manage production flow
- tips on working with writers and designers
- defamation and media law tips.
This is a fun and practical course with many editing exercises included throughout.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor with over 20 years of experience across print and online.
Public sub-editing short courses
The next workshop open to the public will be in Sydney on Wednesday 2 October.
It runs from 9.30am-4.30pm. Tickets start from $336 (incl GST).
Handbooks and certificates are provided.
Only 9 places are available to ensure everyone receives enough attention.Register now – Sydney course on 2 October
If you can’t make this workshop, register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next course in your area will be.
Subbing and proofreading training for organisations and individuals
I provide in-house staff training across Australia and New Zealand that can be run on your premises.
One-on-one training for individuals is also available.Ask for more information
Who can benefit from this sub-editing and proofreading course?
This subbing course will help anyone improve their editing skills, whether they’re new to editing or are an experienced editor who wants a refresher.
Participants often work in:
- public relations (PR)
- "Dan is brilliant! This workshop has really helped me understand more about editing. The skills and tools I have learned will assist me in my daily work. Thank you."Allyson Jennings – World Nomads
- "Great advice, wish I'd done this course in uni – and it should be part of uni! Thank you!"Milly McGrath
- "Really good refresher workshop. Helped to clarify often-made grammatical errors and simplify concise writing habits."Rebecca Sands – Knight Frank
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment
- "After trawling for the right editor to teach me the trade, from square one I knew I'd found the right person in Dan. He's an incredible teacher, with amusing anecdotes to boot. After just a few sessions, I was seeing English in an entirely new way and, with his help, I knew I was ready."Gavin A
- "Dan was an engaging presenter and answered all questions well. The exercises were extremely helpful in understanding the content."Lurline Byles – Department of Fire and Emergency Services