Learn how to edit and proofread with confidence
This subbing and proofreading course covers:
- how to tighten copy
- writing in active vs passive voice
- making sure the lead isn’t buried
- writing strong intros
- structuring copy so it flows well
- writing headlines that work across print and online
- search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques
- grammatical rules an editor needs to know
- punctuation tips on apostrophes, commas, hyphens, dashes, semicolons and more
- proofreading tips and tricks
- using proofreading mark-up symbols
- how to manage production flow
- tips on working with writers and designers
- defamation and media law tips.
This is a fun and practical course with many editing exercises included throughout.
Subbing and proofreading training for organisations – conducted online or in person
I provide staff training across Australia and New Zealand that can be run online or on your premises.
The training can be customised to suit your needs and content. To make the training as relevant as possible, exercises and examples can be based on your copy.Ask for more information
Personalised one-on-one sessions are available, allowing me to focus on the specific editing and proofing skills you want to build.
The sessions can be taught online or in person.Contact me to find out more
Public sub-editing and proofreading course – webinar over two half days
This subbing course is suitable for anyone who wants to know how to edit and proof copy – whether they’re journalists, content producers, bloggers or work in marketing or communications.
It runs over two half days, with each half day running from 9.30am-12.30pm AEST.
Only six places are available to ensure everyone can participate and receive feedback. Tickets cost $320 (plus GST).
Digital handbooks and certificates will be given, in addition to a recording of the webinar.
Register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next course will be.
Who can benefit from this sub-editing and proofreading course?
This subbing course will help anyone improve their editing skills, whether they’re new to editing or are an experienced editor who wants a refresher.
Participants often work in:
- public relations (PR)
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor with over 20 years of experience across print and online. I’ve been teaching sub-editing courses for over a decade, including at the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism (ACIJ) and UTS. I’ve also worked in communications and marketing for a range of different organisations.
- "Would happily recommend to journalists, editors and sub-editors. Dan knows his subject and this info needs to be passed on to every media participant."Darren Snyder – Money magazine
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Dan is brilliant! This workshop has really helped me understand more about editing. The skills and tools I have learned will assist me in my daily work. Thank you."Allyson Jennings – World Nomads
- "Great advice, wish I'd done this course in uni – and it should be part of uni! Thank you!"Milly McGrath
- "Enjoyable workshop – Dan is a great presenter/teacher. It was amazing to find out how much I did and didn't know."Jamie Williamson – Rainmaker Group
- "The course was great – very hands on with great resources to take away."Lili Sparke
- "Really good refresher workshop. Helped to clarify often-made grammatical errors and simplify concise writing habits."Rebecca Sands – Knight Frank
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment
- "After trawling for the right editor to teach me the trade, from square one I knew I'd found the right person in Dan. He's an incredible teacher, with amusing anecdotes to boot. After just a few sessions, I was seeing English in an entirely new way and, with his help, I knew I was ready."Gavin A
- "Dan was an engaging presenter and answered all questions well. The exercises were extremely helpful in understanding the content."Lurline Byles – Department of Fire and Emergency Services
- "I'm feeling very motivated to work on my copy and improve it. Thank you!"Melissa Knapp – Yoganic
- "Thank you for a fantastic learning experience. It was great to learn so many new things. I will be a much better writer because of today."Andrew Hill – The Salvation Army
- "Dan is adaptable to the various audience’s requirements and has a tremendous scope of information and experience which he delivers very well."Maggie Videan – Cancer Council