Learn how to edit and proofread with confidence
This sub-editing and proofreading course will teach you how to:
- tighten copy
- write in the active voice (and know when to use the passive)
- make sure the lead isn’t buried
- write strong intros
- restructure copy so it flows well
- know when to change other people’s writing
- cut copy the right way
- write headlines that work across print and online
- improve search engine optimisation (SEO)
- spot common grammatical mistakes
- use punctuation marks, including apostrophes, commas, hyphens, dashes, semicolons and more
- proofread like a pro
- use proofreading mark-up symbols
- manage production flow
- provide feedback to writers and designers
- avoid common defamation and media law issues.
This is a fun and practical course filled with plenty of editing exercises.
Public sub-editing and proofreading course – webinar over two half days
The next webinar will be on 14 and 15 June.
It runs over two half days from 9.30am-12.45pm AEST.
Only eight places are available to make sure everyone can feel comfortable enough to participate and receive feedback. Tickets cost $340 (plus GST).
Digital handbooks and certificates will be given, in addition to a recording of the webinar.Register now for the June webinar
If you can’t make this workshop, register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next course will be.
Subbing and proofreading training for organisations – conducted online or in person
I provide staff training across Australia and New Zealand that can be run online or on your premises.
The training can be customised to suit your needs and content. To make the training as relevant as possible, exercises and examples can be based on your copy.Ask for more information
Personalised one-on-one sessions are available, allowing me to focus on the specific editing and proofing skills you want to build.
The sessions can be taught online or in person.Contact me to find out more
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor with over 25 years of experience across print and online.
I’ve been teaching sub-editing courses for over 15 years, including at the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism (ACIJ) and UTS.
Who can benefit from this sub-editing and proofreading course?
This subbing course will help anyone improve their editing skills, whether they’re just starting out or are an experienced editor who wants a refresher.
Participants often work in:
- public relations (PR)
- “I would recommend the sub-editing and proofreading course to anyone working in media, regardless of skill level. As an editor, I enrolled to brush up on the essentials but I ended up learning a great deal about grammar, punctuation and even editing, that I had never heard articulated before. Dan is a fantastic facilitator and the course was practical and engaging.”Danielle Gay – Gritty Pretty
- "Would happily recommend to journalists, editors and sub-editors. Dan knows his subject and this info needs to be passed on to every media participant."Darren Snyder – Money magazine
- "This sub-editing and proofreading webinar is easily the best PD I have ever done. The webinar was practical, relevant, interactive, enjoyable and well-paced. Dan is an engaging facilitator who is really generous with both his knowledge and resources."Michelle McDonald – Director of News, Anglican Church Southern Queensland
- "The sub-editing course was a great refresher on everyday grammatical mistakes and has made me rethink the way I write and edit. I started using the rules and tips Dan taught us straight away. I highly recommend the course."Jenna McGowan – Optometry Australia
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Dan is brilliant! This workshop has really helped me understand more about editing. The skills and tools I have learned will assist me in my daily work. Thank you."Allyson Jennings – World Nomads