Learn how to write for the web, email and social media
People are ruthless online – if you don’t grab their attention within three seconds, they’re gone.
Taught by a former Sydney Morning Herald editor, this hands-on writing for the web course will teach you how to:
- write clear and compelling online content
- write for both mobile and desktop screens
- set the right tone of voice for your audience
- structure and format sentences, paragraphs and pages so readers will easily find what they need
- write in plain English to improve readability
- use short sentences
- create persuasive headlines, intros and body copy
- write for search engine optimisation (SEO)
- improve email marketing and newsletters
- make social media content more effective
- understand the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
Public writing for the web short courses
The next short courses open to the public will be in:
These one-day short courses are suitable for anyone who writes for the internet – whether they work in communications, sales, admin or run their own business.
Only nine places are available in each workshop to ensure everyone receives enough attention. Tickets start from $336 (incl GST).Find out more – Melbourne workshop
If you can’t make either workshop, register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next course in your area will be.
Staff training that’s customised for you
I provide writing for the web training for a wide range of organisations – from corporations and government departments to universities and not-for-profits.
My short courses can be taught at your office anywhere in Australia and can run from half a day to two days depending on your needs.
The training can be customised to cover the topics relevant to you – whether it’s writing for your public site, email, social media or your intranet. If you choose, examples and exercises can be based on your own content.Ask for more information
One-on-one writing for the web training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are also available. These allow me to focus on the specific online writing skills you want to build – whether it’s writing for SEO or improving your email newsletters.
Contact me to find out more.
What makes my writing for the web courses so special?
My courses are designed to be as practical as possible – meaning participants will be able to use the skills and techniques they’ve learned as soon as they head back to the office.
As someone who comes from a journalism background – I used to be a Sydney Morning Herald editor – I not only teach the principles behind web writing but also key writing skills and techniques that will make the participants’ writing engaging and easy to read.
I also bring real world experience with me, having helped a wide range of organisations over the past decade to improve their website pages, newsletters, email marketing and social media platforms.
The workshops are fun, hands on and lively – there are plenty of exercises throughout the course so participants can immediately practise what they’ve just learnt, plus questions and feedback are encouraged.
- "Entertaining and informative. It was the best Writing for the Web workshop I've ever been to."Janine Van Den Tillaart – Macquarie University
- "Very engaging. I loved the sense of humour – makes it interesting."Peta Cooper - NSW Health Pathology
- "Highly practical, relevant examples and extremely enjoyable. Thank you."Jamie Ferguson – City of Sydney
- "Thank you for a fantastic learning experience. It was great to learn so many new things. I will be a much better writer because of today."Andrew Hill – The Salvation Army
- "Great workshop. Clear, concise and lots of examples and exercises to do so we could apply what Dan had just outlined. Would definitely recommend."Di Ovens – Landgate
- "Dan is adaptable to the various audience’s requirements and has a tremendous scope of information and experience which he delivers very well."Maggie Videan – Cancer Council
- "Very enjoyable and easy to follow. It was useful and engaging."Darlene Vincent – NSW Department of Primary Industries
- "Wonderful workshop – I learned so much in a short space of time, and it was highly engaging and fun. I would highly recommend this web writing course to anyone looking to better understand and practice good writing techniques in an online environment."Katharine Gray – marketing manager
- "Dan's Writing for the Web workshop was relevant, informative and fun – a must for any media business developing online content in Australia today."Sarah Falson, former managing editor at Reed Publishing
- "I wish our entire organisation could attend this class!"Scott Alexander – City of Boroondara
- "Thoroughly enjoyed the workshop. It was presented in a very clear and engaging way. Thank you for sharing your knowledge."Anna Do
- "Great workshop. Thank you. To the point and easy to follow."F Connolly
- "An informative, well-paced and professional workshop. Lots of helpful tips and tricks that are very relevant. Thank you for a good day."Michael Hopkins
- "Thank you, Dan. So much useful information. Clearly presented and engaging."Sharron Olivier
- "Fantastic course – a lot of useful tips, information and ideas that I'll be able to use."Thomas Strang