Learn how to write for the web, email and social media
People are ruthless online – if you don’t grab their attention within three seconds, they’re gone.
Taught by a former Sydney Morning Herald editor, this hands-on writing for the web course will teach you how to:
- write clear and compelling online content
- apply usability (UX) principles to make your writing more effective and increase conversions
- write for both mobile and desktop screens
- set the right tone of voice for your audience
- structure and format sentences, paragraphs and pages so readers will easily find what they need
- write in plain English to improve readability
- use short sentences
- create persuasive headlines, intros and body copy
- write for search engine optimisation (SEO)
- improve email marketing and newsletters
- make social media content more effective
- understand the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
Public writing for the web course – webinar over two half days
The next courses will be on:
- 5 and 6 December
- 26 and 27 February.
Each course runs over two half days (9.30am-12.45pm AEDT).
Only eight places are available to ensure everyone can participate and receive feedback. Tickets cost $390 (plus GST).
Digital handbooks and certificates will be given, in addition to a recording of the webinar.Register now for the December workshop Register now for the February workshop
If you can’t make either session, register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next course will be.
Staff training that’s customised for you
I provide writing for the web training for a wide range of organisations, from corporations and government departments to universities and not-for-profits.
The workshops are fun and interactive – whether they’re taught in person or online – and are filled with practical exercises that allow participants to immediately put theory into practice.
The training can be customised to cover the topics relevant to you, whether it’s writing for your public website, email, social media or your intranet. If you choose, examples and exercises can be based on your own content.
The short courses can run from half a day to two days depending on your needs.Ask for more information
One-on-one writing for the web training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are available, either in person or online over Zoom.
These allow me to focus on the specific online writing skills you want to build – whether it’s writing for SEO or improving your email newsletters.
I can also provide feedback on your writing.Contact me to find out more
What makes this writing for the web course so special?
Although all writing for the web courses show how to write and format web content, I go further by also teaching the key skills and techniques that make writing engaging and easy to read – and as a former Sydney Morning Herald editor, this is an area I’m particularly passionate about.
I also bring real world experience with me, having helped a wide range of organisations over the past 15 years to improve their website pages, newsletters, email marketing and social media content.
The workshops are fun, hands on and lively. There are plenty of exercises throughout the course so participants can immediately practise what they’ve just learnt, plus questions and feedback are encouraged.
Who is this writing for the web course for?
This course can help anyone who has to write for online, whether it’s for:
- public websites
- staff sites/intranets
- email newsletters
- email marketing
- social media.
The type of people who do my training vary wildly, from people who work in customer service, sales and HR right through to communications and marketing.
If you want to know whether this course can work for you or your team, then feel free to get in touch.
- "Entertaining and informative. It was the best Writing for the Web workshop I've ever been to."Janine Van Den Tillaart – Macquarie University
- "Dan was incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and insightful. Very relevant information that I hadn't heard before."Justin Richardson – Australian Pork
- "The course was fantastic! I walked away with so many useful insights that I will definitely be applying in my work. Honestly, I can’t think of anything I would change. It was informative, interactive and engaging. I would recommend it to anyone."Alexis Wagner – University of Southern Queensland
- "Dan did a superb job in engaging the whole group. I have attended a few workshops from other providers over the years and this was by far the best session. I learnt so many great tips and tricks and I have already started implementing changes to our intranet and newsletter."Carol McLoughlin – Fujitsu
- "I feel as though my writing has been given a tune up – my writing is sharper and more concise. As a ‘words person’, having the opportunity to get better at my craft is very satisfying. One of the biggest take homes from the course was the accessibility information. I am now applying accessibility principles to all my writing. I would recommend this workshop to anyone who works with words!"Sara Runciman – Regional Development Australia
- "Dan’s course on writing for the web has provided me with the knowledge and tools to effortlessly condense and edit what I am writing. He was very informative and the course was easy to follow. I am now a more confident writer."Katie Coy – Bunnings
- "I found the workshop to be easy to follow and enjoyable. I immediately started to use what I learned. The content and pace were just right, with a good mix of practical exercises and talk. I had been winging it for some time and the workshop showed me how to tidy up my writing style."Susan Reid – Murray Arts
- "Great session. As a journalism graduate this course was a brilliant refresher on the basics of good copy! Not just for web but for everything."Peta Watson – Australian Super
- "Fantastic combination of wit and wisdom. Well structured and paced. I learnt a whole lot about how I can improve my writing. Also loved the real life examples."Jessie – Inner West Council
- "Informative and highly engaging presentation. Loved the activities – putting it all into practice!"Jo Cunningham – Colonial First State
- "One of the most engaging and practical training workshops I've attended. It was clear that considered effort and preparation had been put into making the workshop tailored and relevant to us specifically."Lauren Hogan – GMHBA
- "Very knowledgable and engaging. Catered to the organisation and used some of our examples."Sheryn Ringland – Clean Energy Regulator
- "I was really impressed with the course and the delivery was both entertaining and engaging. We covered a lot of ground."Ewan Richmond – Yarra City Council
- "Highly practical, relevant examples and extremely enjoyable. Thank you."Jamie Ferguson – City of Sydney
- "Thank you for a fantastic learning experience. It was great to learn so many new things. I will be a much better writer because of today."Andrew Hill – The Salvation Army
- "Great workshop. Clear, concise and lots of examples and exercises to do so we could apply what Dan had just outlined. Would definitely recommend."Di Ovens – Landgate
- "Dan Kaufman's Writing for the Web short course was insightful and practical. When I first enrolled I was a little jaded with copyrighting workshops – Dan brought a refreshing perspective that I found very valuable."Daniel Brasher
- "Dan is adaptable to the various audience’s requirements and has a tremendous scope of information and experience which he delivers very well."Maggie Videan – Cancer Council
- "An informative, well-paced and professional workshop. Lots of helpful tips and tricks that are very relevant. Thank you for a good day."Michael Hopkins
- "Very enjoyable and easy to follow. It was useful and engaging."Darlene Vincent – NSW Department of Primary Industries
- "Thoroughly enjoyed the workshop. It was presented in a very clear and engaging way. Thank you for sharing your knowledge."Anna Do
- "Really helpful. I gained some useful tips that I can apply to my writing."Renee Helena – Monash University
- "Wonderful workshop – I learned so much in a short space of time, and it was highly engaging and fun. I would highly recommend this web writing course to anyone looking to better understand and practice good writing techniques in an online environment."Katharine Gray – marketing manager
- "Dan's Writing for the Web workshop was relevant, informative and fun – a must for any media business developing online content in Australia today."Sarah Falson, former managing editor at Reed Publishing
- "Dan’s Writing For Web course gave a comprehensive overview of the do’s and don’ts of contemporary writing practice. It was filled with great tips on how to improve the effectiveness of your writing. The webinar was interactive and contained lots of practical exercises, and Dan was really happy to share his knowledge."Nicole Pietsch
- "Very engaging. I loved the sense of humour – makes it interesting."Peta Cooper - NSW Health Pathology
- "Dan's workshop on writing for the web is very informative. I could easily apply the tips learned to my writing and now feel confident with my writing."Simran Jain – MedTech Actuator
- "Fantastic course – a lot of useful tips, information and ideas that I'll be able to use."Thomas Strang
- "Thank you, Dan. So much useful information. Clearly presented and engaging."Sharron Olivier
- "I wish our entire organisation could attend this class!"Scott Alexander – City of Boroondara
- "Thanks for an informative and insightful session. Lots of great tips and techniques to employ in my day-to-day writing tasks."Laura Swanton – PTV