Learn how to write for the web, email and social media
People are ruthless online – if you don’t grab their attention within three seconds, they’re gone.
Taught by a former Sydney Morning Herald editor, this hands-on writing for the web course will teach you how to:
- write clear and compelling online content
- write for both mobile and desktop screens
- set the right tone of voice for your audience
- structure and format sentences, paragraphs and pages so readers will easily find what they need
- write in plain English to improve readability
- use short sentences
- create persuasive headlines, intros and body copy
- write for search engine optimisation (SEO)
- improve email marketing and newsletters
- make social media content more effective
- understand the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
Public writing for the web course – webinar over two half days
I’ll be running webinars in both May and June. Each webinar will run over two half days (with each half day running from 9.30am-12.30pm AEST). The dates are:
The webinars are suitable for anyone who writes for the internet – whether they work in communications, sales, admin or run their own business.
Only six places are available in each webinar to ensure everyone can participate and receive feedback. Tickets cost $280 (plus GST).
Digital handbooks and certificates will be given, in addition to a recording of the webinar.Find out more – June webinar
If you can’t make either workshop, register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next course will be.
Staff training that’s customised for you
I provide writing for the web training for a wide range of organisations – from corporations and government departments to universities and not-for-profits.
The workshops are fun and interactive – whether they’re taught in person or online – and are filled with practical exercises that allow participants to immediately put theory into practice.
The training can be customised to cover the topics relevant to you – whether it’s writing for your public website, email, social media or your intranet. If you choose, examples and exercises can be based on your own content.
The short courses can run from half a day to two days depending on your needs.Ask for more information
One-on-one writing for the web training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are available, either in person or online (such as through Skype).
These allow me to focus on the specific online writing skills you want to build – whether it’s writing for SEO or improving your email newsletters.
I can also provide feedback on your writing.Contact me to find out more.
What makes my writing for the web courses so special?
My courses are designed to be as practical as possible – meaning participants will be able to use the skills and techniques they’ve learned as soon as they head back to the office.
As someone who comes from a journalism background (I used to be an editor at The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age), I not only teach the principles behind web writing but also key writing skills and techniques that will make the participants’ writing engaging and easy to read.
I also bring real world experience with me, having helped a wide range of organisations over the past decade to improve their website pages, newsletters, email marketing and social media platforms.
The workshops are fun, hands on and lively. There are plenty of exercises throughout the course so participants can immediately practise what they’ve just learnt, plus questions and feedback are encouraged.
- "Fantastic combination of wit and wisdom. Well structured and paced. I learnt a whole lot about how I can improve my writing. Also loved the real life examples."Sesilia Devine – Inner West Council
- "Entertaining and informative. It was the best Writing for the Web workshop I've ever been to."Janine Van Den Tillaart – Macquarie University
- "Great session. As a journalism graduate this course was a brilliant refresher on the basics of good copy! Not just for web but for everything."Peta Watson – Australian Super
- "Informative and highly engaging presentation. Loved the activities – putting it all into practice!"Jo Cunningham – Colonial First State
- "One of the most engaging and practical training workshops I've attended. It was clear that considered effort and preparation had been put into making the workshop tailored and relevant to us specifically."Lauren Hogan – GMHBA
- "Very knowledgable and engaging. Catered to the organisation and used some of our examples."Sheryn Ringland – Clean Energy Regulator