Make your writing sing
Whether you work in journalism, communications or content marketing, this course will improve your media and journalism writing skills.
My customised training for staff and individuals can cover how to write:
- news stories
- press releases.
It can also cover storytelling and interviewing techniques.
This is a hands-on and practical writing workshop filled with exercises so participants can immediately practise what they’ve learnt. Participants can also bring in their own writing that can be workshopped during the class.
The course can be tailored to suit different skill levels, from beginners to experienced writers, and can run from one to three days depending on your needs.Ask about staff training
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and journalist who has worked across almost every section of the paper – from Travel to Health and Science.
I also taught journalism at UTS, the University of Sydney and the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism.
Public workshops on journalism and media writing
I also run media writing workshops around Australia that are open to the public.
Register your interest and I’ll let you know when the next public course in your area will be.
One-on-one writing training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are also available, allowing me to focus on the specific writing skills you want to build – and the type of articles you need to write.
Contact me to find out more.
- "Really enjoyable. Content is broad, which is great – it links all kinds of comms strategies."Alana Doyle – Melba Support Services
- "Loved learning how to cut my sentences and work on structure. Particularly good to get some tips for media releases and sending to journos. Great exercises to actually put theory into practice."Amelia Quenby – Tonic PR
- "A helpful workshop which went over both the basics and pertinent points for copywriting and communications professionals."Vanessa Gregory – Access-DGC
- "Enjoyed the format and content and how elements had been applied to our work. Thank you for a fabulous session."Vanessa Hollidge – Reymond Communications
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment
- "Very useful workshop – highly recommended. Dan was very professional and questions and answers were welcomed. Nice and relaxed environment."Ciarne Denham – Jaywing
- "Thoroughly enjoyed the workshop. It was presented in a very clear and engaging way. Thank you for sharing your knowledge."Anna Do
- "I learnt so much from this workshop. Your teaching style and passion for writing is inspiring. Thank you."Peter Emptage
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth