Make your writing clear, compelling and easy to read
Taught by an experienced newspaper editor and journalist, this writing course is ideal for those who write:
- news stories
- marketing and communications copy
- press releases
- blog posts.
In other words, if you work in journalism, marketing, communications, PR or run your own business then this is the course for you.
It’s also suitable if you simply want to improve your general writing skills – after all, the skills and techniques you’ll learn in this course can be applied to any kind of writing.
What this writing course covers:
- why short sentences are key to good writing
- how to write in the active voice
- how to use positive language
- writing with confidence
- using the right tone of voice and style
- cutting copy
- making your intros stronger
- showing, not telling
- tips on writing in plain English
- writing with the reader in mind
- using the correct tense
- how to write in the inverted pyramid style
- top 10 news criteria (what makes a story interesting)
- frontloading content
- writing a news feature
- grammar and punctuation
- considering the medium – and the purpose – of your writing
- proofreading tips
- writing great headlines.
Unlike other courses that usually focus too much on theory, this is a fun and practical masterclass that’s filled with plenty of exercises.
An online writing course that allows you to study at your own pace – and to redo the course as many times as you want
The Writing Essentials online course allows you to study whenever and wherever it suits you.
It’s equivalent to a full-day workshop, with six sessions that each take between 45 minutes to an hour and a half (and you can pause whenever you want).
Once enrolled, you can access the course at any time – unlike other courses, there are no time limits.
You will receive:
- a handbook that covers essential writing tips and techniques (will be given as a PDF)
- a certificate of completion (given as a PDF)
- a free copy of my ebook Dealing with Grumpy Editors
- unlimited access to the course so you can repeat it as many times as you want
- a 20% discount on all my other training packages, including one-on-one sessions.
Price: $US120 per person.Find out more and enrol
Staff training that’s hands on and practical
I also offer staff training that can either be run in-person or as a webinar.
The training can be customised to cover whatever you need – whether it’s writing press releases, feature stories, storytelling or interviewing.
The training is hands-on and practical with plenty exercises that can be based on your own content. Participants can also bring in their own writing that can be workshopped during the class.
The course can be tailored to suit different skill levels, from beginners to experienced writers, and can run from one to three days depending on your needs.Ask about staff training
One-on-one writing training
Personalised one-on-one sessions are available either online or in person, allowing me to focus on the specific writing skills you want to build – and the type of content you need to write. I see a wide range of clients, from those in journalism, communications, marketing and PR right through to those who want to learn how to write like a journalist in order to engage the public.
Contact me to find out more.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and journalist with over 20 years of experience.
- written for and edited almost every section of the newspaper, covering areas from travel and entertainment to health, science and technology
- worked as a magazine editor, sub-editor and journalist
- lectured at UTS, the University of Sydney, and the Australian Independent Centre for Journalism
- worked as an online content specialist, copywriter and communications manager
- taught writing and editing workshops for over a decade.
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Really enjoyable. Content is broad, which is great – it links all kinds of comms strategies."Alana Doyle – Melba Support Services
- "Loved learning how to cut my sentences and work on structure. Particularly good to get some tips for media releases and sending to journos. Great exercises to actually put theory into practice."Amelia Quenby – Tonic PR
- "A helpful workshop which went over both the basics and pertinent points for copywriting and communications professionals."Vanessa Gregory – Access-DGC
- "Enjoyed the format and content and how elements had been applied to our work. Thank you for a fabulous session."Vanessa Hollidge – Reymond Communications
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment