Become more confident about your grammar and punctuation
Let’s be blunt – most of us had an appalling education as far as grammar and punctuation are concerned.
That’s where my course comes in. I provide fun, practical and down-to-earth grammar training that covers:
- why grammar and punctuation are important for readability
- how to use commas, colons, semicolons, apostrophes and other punctuation marks
- structuring sentences and paragraphs
- common punctuation and grammatical mistakes – and how to avoid them
- how to improve consistency
- proofreading your own – and other people’s – work
- tips for proofreading in fast-paced environments.
The course is fun and hands-on, with exercises included throughout.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and UTS journalism lecturer with over 20 years of experience across print and online.
Training for organisations and individuals
I provide in-house staff training that can be run online through videoconferencing or on your premises anywhere in Australia.
One-on-one sessions are also available – either through Skype or in person.
This punctuation and grammar course can be tailored to suit your needs – and can also be combined with my editing course.Ask for more information
Grammar workshops that are open to the public
Register your interest and I’ll be in touch about when the next public grammar workshop in your area will be.
- "Enjoyable workshop – Dan is a great presenter/teacher. It was amazing to find out how much I did and didn't know."Jamie Williamson – Rainmaker Group
- "I'm feeling very motivated to work on my copy and improve it. Thank you!"Melissa Knapp – Yoganic
- "Great advice, wish I'd done this course in uni – and it should be part of uni! Thank you!"Milly McGrath
- "Would happily recommend to journalists, editors and sub-editors. Dan knows his subject and this info needs to be passed on to every media participant."Darren Snyder – Money magazine
- "Really good refresher workshop. Helped to clarify often-made grammatical errors and simplify concise writing habits."Rebecca Sands – Knight Frank
- "After trawling for the right editor to teach me the trade, from square one I knew I'd found the right person in Dan. He's an incredible teacher, with amusing anecdotes to boot. After just a few sessions, I was seeing English in an entirely new way and, with his help, I knew I was ready."Gavin A