Become more confident about your grammar and punctuation
Let’s be blunt – most of us had an appalling education as far as grammar and punctuation are concerned.
That’s where my course comes in. I provide fun, practical and down-to-earth grammar training that covers:
- why grammar and punctuation are important for readability
- how to use commas, colons, semicolons, apostrophes and other punctuation marks
- structuring sentences and paragraphs
- common punctuation and grammatical mistakes – and how to avoid them
- how to improve consistency
- proofreading your own – and other people’s – work
- tips for proofreading in fast-paced environments.
The course is fun and hands-on, with exercises included throughout.
Who am I?
I’m a former Sydney Morning Herald editor and UTS journalism lecturer with over 20 years of experience across print and online.
Training for organisations and individuals
I provide in-house staff training that can be run online through videoconferencing or on your premises anywhere in Australia.
One-on-one sessions are also available – either through Skype or in person.
This punctuation and grammar course can be tailored to suit your needs – and can also be combined with my editing course.Ask for more information
Grammar workshops that are open to the public
Register your interest and I’ll be in touch about when the next public grammar workshop in your area will be.
- "Top job – I was engaged the entire time! Definitely taken away some great lessons I'll use in the future."Jesse Welsh – Nine Entertainment
- "This workshop has helped me to develop a clear understanding of grammar, punctuation and copy. I've learnt about common mistakes I've been making for years – I won't now. The practice and activities helped to put it into action and I can't wait to get back to work with these skills. Thank you!"Annie Waterworth
- "Enjoyable workshop – Dan is a great presenter/teacher. It was amazing to find out how much I did and didn't know."Jamie Williamson – Rainmaker Group
- "Dan is adaptable to the various audience’s requirements and has a tremendous scope of information and experience which he delivers very well."Maggie Videan – Cancer Council
- "Dan was an engaging presenter and answered all questions well. The exercises were extremely helpful in understanding the content."Lurline Byles – Department of Fire and Emergency Services
- "Would happily recommend to journalists, editors and sub-editors. Dan knows his subject and this info needs to be passed on to every media participant."Darren Snyder – Money magazine